Friday, August 12, 2011

Countdown...

Eek! Where has the time gone? The ride is tomorrow morning at 7a.m. Looks like there is a good chance that there will be rain to go along with the start. There are almost 400 riders in tomorrow's ride and together we raised just over one million dollars!!!! One dude raised over $100,000 himself! Guess the bar has been raised. There is still plenty of opportunity for people to donate and help me beat out that guy...how about $150,000?  Go to http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?px=1210912&fr_id=1472&pg=personal and throw some money in the kitty and help get me there. Eighty percent of the funds raised go directly to research to find a cure for type one diabetes.

Many people here have said this ride is a life-changing event and there will be many "goose bump moments." I have been teary-eyed more than once since arriving so tomorrow I may be a blithering mess. It is amazing and inspiring to see all of the people that dedicate so much of their time, effort and money to help JDRF find a cure. My friend Ann from Madison is here with her friend Peter and they decided to volunteer to hand out drinks and snacks at the start/finish line...and to yell really loudly for me when I start and finish.

I am fully carb-loaded and sloshy with hydration and now must get some sleep so I can function at 5a.m. To my family...this one's for you.

1 comment: