Thursday, June 16, 2011

Upping the Crazy Ante

Today was a big day. This was the day for the long ride of the week which takes much more time to complete. It worked best to try it on Thursday (weather permitting) as I stay overnight with friends who live near Mankato (where I teach daily). That means I am free of the responsibility of parenthood for one evening...well, at least the direct hands-on type of responsibility (thank you, Honey!).

I tried my best to be prepared to attempt a 40 mile ride: two water bottles filled with half water and half Vitamin Water (need the electrolytes), two protein bars, sunscreen applied, official bike riding tank top made of polyester supplied by friend Ann S. as part of a bike riding care package, cotton t-shirt on top of aforementioned tank top 'cause that's how I roll, cell phone, sunglasses, and $10...just in case. 

I rode on the Sakatah Trail again but started at Madison Lake to avoid the killer goose bridge. After being slapped and beaten by a Canada Goose I have decided that they are like the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz. I fear that they are just waiting to swoop down and give me the scarecrow treatment...hence the skipping of the goose bridge of the last assault. From Madison Lake the trail runs through Elysian, Waterville, the Sakatah State Park, and Morristown, which is where I stopped and turned around. Although it was a warm day there are many parts of the trail that are shaded and the wind was pretty light, which is a rarity for this neck of the woods.

Coach Terri told me to just relax and have a good time while riding so I tried to take her words to heart and just let the ride happen. That was easiest for the first 25 miles. After that I had to call on the words of encouragement people have bestowed on me and repeat my mantra "every rotation is a gift" to help keep me going. The physical discomfort started to increase around this point too and my hands decided to fall asleep, as well as my toes (although if I curl and uncurl them that seems to help get rid of the numbness), and my "sit bones" didn't want to be sat upon anymore, and my back was sore from either the riding or hitting all of the bumps on the not-so-smooth trail. I had to get off and walk the bike a couple of times to give my body a break. But I am pleased to report that I made it 41.1 miles today and it took about four hours to complete. That is the farthest I have ever ridden in my life in a day.  Now I am sore, but I learned that polyester does indeed wick moisture even though it feels like a weird fabric to be wearing (latent polyester-phobia).

Have I gone from sloth to athlete yet? Not sure about that, and don't know if this venture will turn me into an avid biker or dissuade me from ever going near a bike again. Time will tell. For now, I'm just taking a walk on the wild side.

Again, the reason for this insanity is to raise funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). Please help in any amount that you can and let your friends and family have an opportunity to help out too...share this link with them: http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/gjengdahl

No comments:

Post a Comment